Salò is a town and comune in the Province of Brescia in the region of Lombardy (northern Italy) on the banks of Lake Garda, on which it has the longest promenade. The city was the seat of government of the Italian Social Republic from 1943 to 1945, with the ISR often being called the “Republic of Salò” (Repubblica di Salò in Italian).
– The Duomo di Santa Maria Annunziata (cathedral of the Annunciation to Saint Mary), rebuilt in late Gothic style in the 15th century. It has a noteworthy Renaissance portal by Gasparo Cairano and Antonio Mangiacavalli, paintings by Zenone Veronese (16th century), a Polyptych of Paolo Veneziano’s school and a Madonna and Saints by Romanino.
– The Palazzo della Magnifica Patria (“Palace of the Magnificent Fatherland”, 16th century). The palace is home to the Historical Museum of the Azure Ribbon, an exhibition of documents on Renaissance history, on Italy’s colonial wars, the Spanish Civil War and the Resistance against Fascism.
– The Communal Palace is the seat of the Civic Archaeological Museum, with findings from the ancient Salodium.